- Going hiking the Great Smoky National Park in the Balsam Mountain area on Saturday, July 19th. We are doing a 2 1/2 mile hike down the flat creek trail to flat creek falls that will last around 4 1/2 hours including drive time. We will be simming in the creek, looking for wildflowers, nature photography, looking for animal tracks and signs of wildlife, and more.
- Taking a fun leisurely hike up Shinning Creek in Pisgah National Forest on Friday, August 1st. We will be learning about the plants and animals in the area, swimming in the creek, bird watching, working on Map & Compass skills, and just have fun exploring the area. How far we hike will depend on how far we want to go on this hike.
- Hiking to Twin Falls in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard on Saturday, August 16th. We'll be beating the heat by a cold mountain stream with the mist of a beautiful waterfall cooling us down. The hike is 4.1 miles total with an hour drive so this outing will take about 6 hours out of the day but........................ it will be worth it I promise.
Adult Volunteers and Parents are welcome to come too!
Events to Look For This Fall
- Rock Climbing (and a climbing wall)
- Litter Pickup
- Over Night Camping on Mt Pisgah
- Climb Cold Mountain
- Hike to the Shinning Rock
What You MUST Bring! (please be careful not to forget these important items)
- A lunch (and any snacks that you think you need)
- A large water bottle (a liter or more)
- A backpack to carry your stuff in
- Shoes to hike in AND shoes for playing in the water (hiking uphill in wet shoes is NOT fun.....blisters ugh)
- A whistle (every person must bring one)
- A non-cotton shirt to hike in (polyester/polypropelene/anything quick dry) OR a rain jacket
Things that you CAN bring! (I will be bringing most of these items)
- Bathing suit
- Field Guides
- Fishing Gear
- A grocery bag to help pick up trash we find on the way
- Bug Spray
- Toilet Paper
- Sun Screen
- First Aid Kit (I have one that will work for everyone)
- Personal Medications
- Hiking Stick
WE WILL HAVING ANOTHER MEETING SO CHECK THE BLOG TO STAY UPDATED!
Call the Extension Office at 828-456-3575 for questions.